Home

Tearoom and Shop

The Family

The Hergest Estate

Events for 2017

Newsletters

Photo Gallery

Hergest Croft Logo
Quality Assured Visitor Attraction
Cymru Accredited Attraction

The Hergest Estate

Hergest RidgeKington has been an English border market town for around a thousand years and has changed little in size, with a population of about 2500 people. Today it still contains many independent shops, pubs, a museum, a hotel and spa and golf course. It is a centre for walking especially on Offa Dyke path and locally on Hergest Ridge.
Link to Kington Centre for Walking
Link to Kington Tourist Information Centre

Hergest CourtHergest Estate extends to over 405 ha (1000 acres) and includes the manor house, Hergest Court, which dates from 1267 and was built by Hwyel ap Meurig and subsequently occupied by the Clanvowe and Vaughan families. The house is reputed to be haunted by a great black hound, ‘The Black Dog of Hergest’ and can be seen from the lawn at the end of the avenue.

Hergest Croft House

The House

Hergest Croft was built in 1895 to a design by Richard Drew who did much work for the family and locally. The house was requisitioned during World War II in 1940 and used for a relocated school. It later became an extension of Lady Hawkins School, Kington and finally housed the Herefordshire Archives until it was released back to the family in 1972. It has been converted into five flats.

Physical Conditions

The garden has a light loam soil overlaying broken shaley rock and a neutral ph. Annual rainfall is just over 102mm (40 inches). The weather is temperate with warm winters and cool summers. The elevation ranges from 185m – 250m (600 to 800 feet). There is excellent shelter from the north and west. Good air drainage making damaging late frosts rare.

Hergest Gardeners

The Gardeners

Stephen Lloyd, who started work in the garden in 1980, is now Head Gardener. He has four colleagues Robert, Kristie, Meran and Rowan that work with him. Mark Barratt is responsible for Park Wood and is also the gamekeeper.

Return to Top of Page
© Hergest Croft Gardens 2009Website design by webmagic